Possible early dismissal Tuesday?

Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:It's more of a light rain but I can see how that might make them cancel school.


Yes, it’s a pretty crazy… drizzle out there. But middle schooler already back after virtually no instruction so let’s keep our eyes on what’s important.


Would you have preferred for them to wait until you see bad weather out your window, before sending the kids home?


“Bad weather” is not reason to cancel school. “Dangerous” weather is not predicted until 5, if even then https://x.com/capitalweather/status/1744737898954686672?s=46&t=kXNpUewkV_Y9BqQTN3vOUw.


Not your call. Homeschooling is always an option, if you want to make the rules. Shrug.


Our homeschool co-op had all classes today, until our normal departure at 5:15 p.m. You're right... it's great to be able to read the weather forecast and make a rational decision!


If you have to worry about flooding on the kids’ walk from living room to bedrooms, you and your sister wives should do something about that.


You're really in touch with modern homeschooling... We rent space for the 60 kids who attend, and who either drive themselves or are dropped off. So yeah, we read the weather forecast.


Definitely sounds like an unaccredited private school.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Would you look at that, Howard county is delayed but Montgomery county is not. I’m glad I did not have to use my contingency plans. But I would not have been caught off guard if we would have had a delay.

I really hope some of you get your act together so that next time that way you won’t get caught off guard with your shocked Pikachu faces.


This actually runs counter to your point that MCPS always follows the lead of other counties and that if the others make a move, MCPS will follow suit. If we'd followed your logic, we would have ASSUMED MCPS would follow suit with HoCo, only to be surprised they didn't. Which goes back to the earlier point made that the only school district you should be relying on to know if school will or won't be closed is the one your kids actually attend.


Nobody said that Montgomery county always follows the lead of other counties and nobody said you should assume they will automatically close. You have a really bad take on all this.


Yes, but you and other posters insisted that BECAUSE other schools closed that anyone who was annoyed MCPS decided to NOT follow suit at first, only to pivot after school had started, was foolish because it was obvious based on the patterns.

You can't have it both ways: Either neighboring districts are or aren't a reliable predictor of MCPS's decisions. This example proves that's not always the case and it's best to worry about what MCPS says and does and not other school districts, since MCPS can and does make different decisions from its neighbors.


I think we can agree to disagree because I don’t think we’re going to see each other’s way. I still think that paying attention to what other local counties do helps me (and others) not be surprised if and when Montgomery closes or does not close. If there is a big weather pattern coming to the area, you bet I will pay attention to what other school districts are doing so that I could better plan. Maybe it’s because I’m a MoCo native and grew up here that I know what to look for? Who knows but I just know this is what works and has always worked for me.


I think the disagreement lies in what we define as the threshold for other school districts being a "reliable predictor." You're being a MoCo native has nothing to do with this as I'm one as well.

Again: My stance and point is you really need to focus on what MCPS says and does and not necessarily other school districts, because as this instance shows with Howard having a two-hour delay and MCPS not, what other school districts do is not always a reliable indicator of what MCPS will do.


So growing up here, if you saw that Prince Georges or Howard closed or delayed, would you also have a hunch that Montgomery county was also going to close or delay?


Having grown up here, I know that what I think and what PG or Howard do ultimately doesn't matter, because the only thing I'm bound by is what MCPS does.

Read the news and pay attention to other school districts as you want. But it's not a guarantee since MCPS can and does make different decisions from its neighbors on a number of fronts for a variety of reasons. Having a hunch about something doesn't matter, other than saying your hunch was right or wrong after MCPS makes it decision. So I don't know why you're placing so much emphasis on it, when as I have stated and as this case proves, what neighboring districts do does not matter to the decisions MCPS makes.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Would you look at that, Howard county is delayed but Montgomery county is not. I’m glad I did not have to use my contingency plans. But I would not have been caught off guard if we would have had a delay.

I really hope some of you get your act together so that next time that way you won’t get caught off guard with your shocked Pikachu faces.


This actually runs counter to your point that MCPS always follows the lead of other counties and that if the others make a move, MCPS will follow suit. If we'd followed your logic, we would have ASSUMED MCPS would follow suit with HoCo, only to be surprised they didn't. Which goes back to the earlier point made that the only school district you should be relying on to know if school will or won't be closed is the one your kids actually attend.


Nobody said that Montgomery county always follows the lead of other counties and nobody said you should assume they will automatically close. You have a really bad take on all this.


Yes, but you and other posters insisted that BECAUSE other schools closed that anyone who was annoyed MCPS decided to NOT follow suit at first, only to pivot after school had started, was foolish because it was obvious based on the patterns.

You can't have it both ways: Either neighboring districts are or aren't a reliable predictor of MCPS's decisions. This example proves that's not always the case and it's best to worry about what MCPS says and does and not other school districts, since MCPS can and does make different decisions from its neighbors.


Even reliable predictors are not 100%. Does MCPS usually do the same as the other districts? Yes. Does MCPS always do exactly the same as the other districts? No.


Great, agreed that reliable predictors are not 100%. So then maybe you can stop berating other posters for being upset or caught off guard that MCPS pivoted on its decision after school started? You and your ilk instead insisted that posters who were annoyed/caught off guard/frustrated were just ignorant for not realizing it was inevitable since other school districts had made the move to close early (much earlier than MCPS did btw).


I don't remember anybody saying INEVITABLE.

If you want to ignore the other school districts' decisions, go right ahead. If you want to ignore the weather forecast, go right ahead. You're in charge of the information you use to make your plans.


I never once said to ignore the forecasts. On the contrary, I was complaining about MCPS's late-game decision because the forecasts had not changed by the time MCPS made its decision and in fact was the basis on why its neighboring districts made the early closure decisions earlier than MCPS. So given that the forecast were concerning enough for MCPS to close early and that those forecasts didn't change, MCPS could and should have made that call late Monday night like its neighbors, or at 5 am on Tuesday morning before people left their homes for the school day.

You're flailing wildly and making things up to prove a point that I never made.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Would you look at that, Howard county is delayed but Montgomery county is not. I’m glad I did not have to use my contingency plans. But I would not have been caught off guard if we would have had a delay.

I really hope some of you get your act together so that next time that way you won’t get caught off guard with your shocked Pikachu faces.


This actually runs counter to your point that MCPS always follows the lead of other counties and that if the others make a move, MCPS will follow suit. If we'd followed your logic, we would have ASSUMED MCPS would follow suit with HoCo, only to be surprised they didn't. Which goes back to the earlier point made that the only school district you should be relying on to know if school will or won't be closed is the one your kids actually attend.


Nobody said that Montgomery county always follows the lead of other counties and nobody said you should assume they will automatically close. You have a really bad take on all this.


Yes, but you and other posters insisted that BECAUSE other schools closed that anyone who was annoyed MCPS decided to NOT follow suit at first, only to pivot after school had started, was foolish because it was obvious based on the patterns.

You can't have it both ways: Either neighboring districts are or aren't a reliable predictor of MCPS's decisions. This example proves that's not always the case and it's best to worry about what MCPS says and does and not other school districts, since MCPS can and does make different decisions from its neighbors.


Even reliable predictors are not 100%. Does MCPS usually do the same as the other districts? Yes. Does MCPS always do exactly the same as the other districts? No.


Great, agreed that reliable predictors are not 100%. So then maybe you can stop berating other posters for being upset or caught off guard that MCPS pivoted on its decision after school started? You and your ilk instead insisted that posters who were annoyed/caught off guard/frustrated were just ignorant for not realizing it was inevitable since other school districts had made the move to close early (much earlier than MCPS did btw).


I don't remember anybody saying INEVITABLE.

If you want to ignore the other school districts' decisions, go right ahead. If you want to ignore the weather forecast, go right ahead. You're in charge of the information you use to make your plans.


I never once said to ignore the forecasts. On the contrary, I was complaining about MCPS's late-game decision because the forecasts had not changed by the time MCPS made its decision and in fact was the basis on why its neighboring districts made the early closure decisions earlier than MCPS. So given that the forecast were concerning enough for MCPS to close early and that those forecasts didn't change, MCPS could and should have made that call late Monday night like its neighbors, or at 5 am on Tuesday morning before people left their homes for the school day.

You're flailing wildly and making things up to prove a point that I never made.


You can do whatever you want to do. Complain about MCPS deciding too late? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS deciding too early? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS making the same decision as neighboring school districts? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS making a different decision from neighboring school districts? Go ahead. It seems like a waste of time to me, but it's your time, so it's your decision.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:After this thread, I can only imagine the hand-wringing, wailing, and gnashing of teeth had a bus been stuck for an hour or two yesterday in a flooded street. Especially if Larla peed her pants while stuck on that bus.


A large tree is down in the street on the route DD’s bus takes. I’m grateful school got out early.


The tree on Westbard? Fell down at 730.


No, on Sligo Creek parkway.


Nobody heard it
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Would you look at that, Howard county is delayed but Montgomery county is not. I’m glad I did not have to use my contingency plans. But I would not have been caught off guard if we would have had a delay.

I really hope some of you get your act together so that next time that way you won’t get caught off guard with your shocked Pikachu faces.


This actually runs counter to your point that MCPS always follows the lead of other counties and that if the others make a move, MCPS will follow suit. If we'd followed your logic, we would have ASSUMED MCPS would follow suit with HoCo, only to be surprised they didn't. Which goes back to the earlier point made that the only school district you should be relying on to know if school will or won't be closed is the one your kids actually attend.


Nobody said that Montgomery county always follows the lead of other counties and nobody said you should assume they will automatically close. You have a really bad take on all this.


Yes, but you and other posters insisted that BECAUSE other schools closed that anyone who was annoyed MCPS decided to NOT follow suit at first, only to pivot after school had started, was foolish because it was obvious based on the patterns.

You can't have it both ways: Either neighboring districts are or aren't a reliable predictor of MCPS's decisions. This example proves that's not always the case and it's best to worry about what MCPS says and does and not other school districts, since MCPS can and does make different decisions from its neighbors.


Even reliable predictors are not 100%. Does MCPS usually do the same as the other districts? Yes. Does MCPS always do exactly the same as the other districts? No.


Great, agreed that reliable predictors are not 100%. So then maybe you can stop berating other posters for being upset or caught off guard that MCPS pivoted on its decision after school started? You and your ilk instead insisted that posters who were annoyed/caught off guard/frustrated were just ignorant for not realizing it was inevitable since other school districts had made the move to close early (much earlier than MCPS did btw).


I don't remember anybody saying INEVITABLE.

If you want to ignore the other school districts' decisions, go right ahead. If you want to ignore the weather forecast, go right ahead. You're in charge of the information you use to make your plans.


I never once said to ignore the forecasts. On the contrary, I was complaining about MCPS's late-game decision because the forecasts had not changed by the time MCPS made its decision and in fact was the basis on why its neighboring districts made the early closure decisions earlier than MCPS. So given that the forecast were concerning enough for MCPS to close early and that those forecasts didn't change, MCPS could and should have made that call late Monday night like its neighbors, or at 5 am on Tuesday morning before people left their homes for the school day.

You're flailing wildly and making things up to prove a point that I never made.


You can do whatever you want to do. Complain about MCPS deciding too late? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS deciding too early? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS making the same decision as neighboring school districts? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS making a different decision from neighboring school districts? Go ahead. It seems like a waste of time to me, but it's your time, so it's your decision.


The only complaint I made was that they made the decision late. I have no issues with the decision to close early. The other complaints may have been made by others but weren't made by me.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Would you look at that, Howard county is delayed but Montgomery county is not. I’m glad I did not have to use my contingency plans. But I would not have been caught off guard if we would have had a delay.

I really hope some of you get your act together so that next time that way you won’t get caught off guard with your shocked Pikachu faces.


This actually runs counter to your point that MCPS always follows the lead of other counties and that if the others make a move, MCPS will follow suit. If we'd followed your logic, we would have ASSUMED MCPS would follow suit with HoCo, only to be surprised they didn't. Which goes back to the earlier point made that the only school district you should be relying on to know if school will or won't be closed is the one your kids actually attend.


Nobody said that Montgomery county always follows the lead of other counties and nobody said you should assume they will automatically close. You have a really bad take on all this.


Yes, but you and other posters insisted that BECAUSE other schools closed that anyone who was annoyed MCPS decided to NOT follow suit at first, only to pivot after school had started, was foolish because it was obvious based on the patterns.

You can't have it both ways: Either neighboring districts are or aren't a reliable predictor of MCPS's decisions. This example proves that's not always the case and it's best to worry about what MCPS says and does and not other school districts, since MCPS can and does make different decisions from its neighbors.


Even reliable predictors are not 100%. Does MCPS usually do the same as the other districts? Yes. Does MCPS always do exactly the same as the other districts? No.


Great, agreed that reliable predictors are not 100%. So then maybe you can stop berating other posters for being upset or caught off guard that MCPS pivoted on its decision after school started? You and your ilk instead insisted that posters who were annoyed/caught off guard/frustrated were just ignorant for not realizing it was inevitable since other school districts had made the move to close early (much earlier than MCPS did btw).


I don't remember anybody saying INEVITABLE.

If you want to ignore the other school districts' decisions, go right ahead. If you want to ignore the weather forecast, go right ahead. You're in charge of the information you use to make your plans.


I never once said to ignore the forecasts. On the contrary, I was complaining about MCPS's late-game decision because the forecasts had not changed by the time MCPS made its decision and in fact was the basis on why its neighboring districts made the early closure decisions earlier than MCPS. So given that the forecast were concerning enough for MCPS to close early and that those forecasts didn't change, MCPS could and should have made that call late Monday night like its neighbors, or at 5 am on Tuesday morning before people left their homes for the school day.

You're flailing wildly and making things up to prove a point that I never made.


You can do whatever you want to do. Complain about MCPS deciding too late? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS deciding too early? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS making the same decision as neighboring school districts? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS making a different decision from neighboring school districts? Go ahead. It seems like a waste of time to me, but it's your time, so it's your decision.


The only complaint I made was that they made the decision late. I have no issues with the decision to close early. The other complaints may have been made by others but weren't made by me.


It was made before 9am. These are changing events and never easy. Fairfax County took a lot of flak for canceling all Saturday activities because of ice forecasted that ended up being rain. Kudos to MCPS for getting out the decision before 9am.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Would you look at that, Howard county is delayed but Montgomery county is not. I’m glad I did not have to use my contingency plans. But I would not have been caught off guard if we would have had a delay.

I really hope some of you get your act together so that next time that way you won’t get caught off guard with your shocked Pikachu faces.


This actually runs counter to your point that MCPS always follows the lead of other counties and that if the others make a move, MCPS will follow suit. If we'd followed your logic, we would have ASSUMED MCPS would follow suit with HoCo, only to be surprised they didn't. Which goes back to the earlier point made that the only school district you should be relying on to know if school will or won't be closed is the one your kids actually attend.


Nobody said that Montgomery county always follows the lead of other counties and nobody said you should assume they will automatically close. You have a really bad take on all this.


Yes, but you and other posters insisted that BECAUSE other schools closed that anyone who was annoyed MCPS decided to NOT follow suit at first, only to pivot after school had started, was foolish because it was obvious based on the patterns.

You can't have it both ways: Either neighboring districts are or aren't a reliable predictor of MCPS's decisions. This example proves that's not always the case and it's best to worry about what MCPS says and does and not other school districts, since MCPS can and does make different decisions from its neighbors.


Even reliable predictors are not 100%. Does MCPS usually do the same as the other districts? Yes. Does MCPS always do exactly the same as the other districts? No.


Great, agreed that reliable predictors are not 100%. So then maybe you can stop berating other posters for being upset or caught off guard that MCPS pivoted on its decision after school started? You and your ilk instead insisted that posters who were annoyed/caught off guard/frustrated were just ignorant for not realizing it was inevitable since other school districts had made the move to close early (much earlier than MCPS did btw).


I don't remember anybody saying INEVITABLE.

If you want to ignore the other school districts' decisions, go right ahead. If you want to ignore the weather forecast, go right ahead. You're in charge of the information you use to make your plans.


I never once said to ignore the forecasts. On the contrary, I was complaining about MCPS's late-game decision because the forecasts had not changed by the time MCPS made its decision and in fact was the basis on why its neighboring districts made the early closure decisions earlier than MCPS. So given that the forecast were concerning enough for MCPS to close early and that those forecasts didn't change, MCPS could and should have made that call late Monday night like its neighbors, or at 5 am on Tuesday morning before people left their homes for the school day.

You're flailing wildly and making things up to prove a point that I never made.


You can do whatever you want to do. Complain about MCPS deciding too late? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS deciding too early? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS making the same decision as neighboring school districts? Go ahead. Complain about MCPS making a different decision from neighboring school districts? Go ahead. It seems like a waste of time to me, but it's your time, so it's your decision.


The only complaint I made was that they made the decision late. I have no issues with the decision to close early. The other complaints may have been made by others but weren't made by me.


It was made before 9am. These are changing events and never easy. Fairfax County took a lot of flak for canceling all Saturday activities because of ice forecasted that ended up being rain. Kudos to MCPS for getting out the decision before 9am.


Nothing changed about the forecast. They were pressured to close early because some other districts did. That’s it.
Anonymous
Heads up people - possible snow in the forecast for next Tuesday. Now is the time for you to start thinking about what you would do in the event of a 2 hour delay, a day off of school, or an early release.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:Heads up people - possible snow in the forecast for next Tuesday. Now is the time for you to start thinking about what you would do in the event of a 2 hour delay, a day off of school, or an early release.


Thank you! What about tomorrow? More rain in the forecast- maybe an early release? Just wondering if I should reschedule my afternoon mammogram.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:Heads up people - possible snow in the forecast for next Tuesday. Now is the time for you to start thinking about what you would do in the event of a 2 hour delay, a day off of school, or an early release.


The forecast can absolutely change between now and then (and often does). But if the forecast holds exactly as predicted (1-3 inches) the typical MCPS plan would be close Tuesday then 2hr delay Wednesday (melt freezes overnight and icy morning) or even cancel Wednesday due to ice and not getting above 32 to melt. If there is any snow they *always* close, even if it’s only an inch or two. Plan accordingly.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Heads up people - possible snow in the forecast for next Tuesday. Now is the time for you to start thinking about what you would do in the event of a 2 hour delay, a day off of school, or an early release.


Thank you! What about tomorrow? More rain in the forecast- maybe an early release? Just wondering if I should reschedule my afternoon mammogram.

Don't be such an idiot. That is going to be normal rain. No early release.

But whatever. Don't ever think of any contingency plans until MCPS announces their decision and complain that they made the decision too late and what are you going to do for child care?
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Heads up people - possible snow in the forecast for next Tuesday. Now is the time for you to start thinking about what you would do in the event of a 2 hour delay, a day off of school, or an early release.


Thank you! What about tomorrow? More rain in the forecast- maybe an early release? Just wondering if I should reschedule my afternoon mammogram.

Don't be such an idiot. That is going to be normal rain. No early release.

But whatever. Don't ever think of any contingency plans until MCPS announces their decision and complain that they made the decision too late and what are you going to do for child care?


Wind gusts up to 40mph but mostly overnight, that’s the big difference from the other day.
post reply Forum Index » Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS)
Message Quick Reply
Go to: