15 lbs overweight, holistic doctor wants me to try weight loss injections

Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Is there any way you can stop taking the SSRI? And pick up more exercise? Something more intense than walking, something that makes you sweat? Numerous studies have shown that exercise, especially high intensity exercise, is as or more effective than meditation for mild to moderate anxiety and depression.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/exercise-is-an-all-natural-treatment-to-fight-depression#:~:text=Exercise%20is%20as%20effective%20as%20antidepressants%20in%20some%20cases.&text=However%2C%20pills%20aren't%20the,severe%20depression%2C%22%20says%20Dr.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/is-exercise-more-effective-than-medication-for-depression-and-anxiety

Even if you can’t, take a spin class and you could kill two birds with one stone…


Yes, I did go off of it 6 months ago and no weight change.
I do weight lifting 3/4x a week for 45 min a sessioj with a trainer and daily pilates in a studio because I enjoy it. I don’t really think my fitness could improve. Before I picked up lifting I was actually spinning 3/4 days a week and switched to lifting because it’s supposed to be more effective than cardio.



Your fitness could definitely improve. Brisk walk 60 mins/day on non strength days. Also if you’re not lifting heavy, you won’t see much in the way of results. If you do, muscle weighs more than fat so…
Taking drugs with potentially nasty side effects for a vanity 15 is nuts when you really are not doing the bare minimum in terms of exercise.


You may getting too much advice here and overlooking common logic. Calories out/calories in. Cardio will do more for burning calories than lifting, especially if you're only doing light weights a couple times a week. You probably are underestimating your calories in.

I’m heavy lifting with a trainer.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:I don't think the risks are worth it in your cast, OP.

I'd cut booze completely.

I'd cut any processed food and grains (good for Hashis and weight loss), stick to beef, chicken, fish, eggs, non-starchy veg and some non-tropical fruit.

I'd layer in intermittent fasting, which can help with both weight loss and inflammation/autoimmune. Get coaching from experts, Dr. Jason Fung's team.

https://www.thefastingmethod.com/coaching/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8CdI_kUD74




I 16:8 already and my drinks are maybe 1 glass of wine a week so I don’t see a big difference from that?
Anonymous
I say go ahead and try it. I have gained about 100lbs over the last 10 years thanks to psych meds. It's not pretty. Stop it while you can.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I don't think the risks are worth it in your cast, OP.

I'd cut booze completely.

I'd cut any processed food and grains (good for Hashis and weight loss), stick to beef, chicken, fish, eggs, non-starchy veg and some non-tropical fruit.

I'd layer in intermittent fasting, which can help with both weight loss and inflammation/autoimmune. Get coaching from experts, Dr. Jason Fung's team.

https://www.thefastingmethod.com/coaching/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8CdI_kUD74




I 16:8 already and my drinks are maybe 1 glass of wine a week so I don’t see a big difference from that?


I found my health drastically improved with cutting it completely even though I wasn't drinking much. Alcohol takes longer than I thought to completely get out of your system so if you drink even just once a week, it's actually there all the time.
Anonymous
I would give it a try if I were you. 15 pounds can really mess with your joints and cause other issues. It sounds like you are doing quite a bit of exercise. Those mentioning cardio here are ignoring that cardio is ineffective for weight loss. It is wonderful for heart health but not for losing fat. If your diet is dialed in and you’ve tried the other options I’d go for it.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:I would give it a try if I were you. 15 pounds can really mess with your joints and cause other issues. It sounds like you are doing quite a bit of exercise. Those mentioning cardio here are ignoring that cardio is ineffective for weight loss. It is wonderful for heart health but not for losing fat. If your diet is dialed in and you’ve tried the other options I’d go for it.


Thank you. I would stop when I hit the 15 lbs. If it doesn’t work to maintain I’m fine with that and I’ll accept this might be my new normal with age.
Anonymous
On what basis would you qualify?? Wtf??

Also, what’s your build? I’m 5’6” and I weigh 144, but I’m a size 4-6, in even designer sizes. I’m a 34DD. So, build matters. I worried 125 pre kids but I had to starve myself and I’m just not down to do that now. Maybe get some other priorities and hobbies?
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I would give it a try if I were you. 15 pounds can really mess with your joints and cause other issues. It sounds like you are doing quite a bit of exercise. Those mentioning cardio here are ignoring that cardio is ineffective for weight loss. It is wonderful for heart health but not for losing fat. If your diet is dialed in and you’ve tried the other options I’d go for it.


Thank you. I would stop when I hit the 15 lbs. If it doesn’t work to maintain I’m fine with that and I’ll accept this might be my new normal with age.


I’m not sure why you bothered posting on here for feedback when It sounds like you’ve made up your mind.

I personally think you’re taking a huge gamble on the impact this could have on your health and metabolism down the road when you’re already at a perfectly healthy weight. But you do you!
Anonymous
Meds for 15lbs? That seems ridiculous, honestly. 50lbs, yes. 15?! No.
Anonymous
Omg no. Find a new doctor. You will lose muscle mass and potentially harm your GI system. Not a good idea.
Anonymous
This is hilarious - a holistic doctor is supposed to help you address the root cause of the issues you mention (thyroid, need for SSRI) and here they are with the band aid approach that does nothing to solve your issues and may add news ones. Holistic my a** you could go to any doctor to be told to lose weight.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Is there any way you can stop taking the SSRI? And pick up more exercise? Something more intense than walking, something that makes you sweat? Numerous studies have shown that exercise, especially high intensity exercise, is as or more effective than meditation for mild to moderate anxiety and depression.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/exercise-is-an-all-natural-treatment-to-fight-depression#:~:text=Exercise%20is%20as%20effective%20as%20antidepressants%20in%20some%20cases.&text=However%2C%20pills%20aren't%20the,severe%20depression%2C%22%20says%20Dr.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/is-exercise-more-effective-than-medication-for-depression-and-anxiety

Even if you can’t, take a spin class and you could kill two birds with one stone…


Yes, I did go off of it 6 months ago and no weight change.
I do weight lifting 3/4x a week for 45 min a sessioj with a trainer and daily pilates in a studio because I enjoy it. I don’t really think my fitness could improve. Before I picked up lifting I was actually spinning 3/4 days a week and switched to lifting because it’s supposed to be more effective than cardio.

What about intermittent fasting?


IF is great for autoimmune conditions too, win/win.


for post-menopausal women yes but not for women of childbearing age it is not. look, women with periods arent tested on for lots of stuff. they just started using menstrual blood last year for testing menstrual products. most medications and treatments are tested on childbearing women.
And the added complication here is that she is hypothyroid with hashimotos

"Other hormones may also be impacted by fasting. Thyroid hormones, which regulate metabolism and energy, may decrease during extended fasts, according to animal studies.

Some human studies have also shown changes in thyroid hormones. Still, many practitioners question whether this is actually a concern as thyroid hormones appear to return to normal once subjects start eating again. More research specifically on fasting and the thyroid is needed.

Like estrogen, progesterone production can also drop due to alterations in the HPO-axis and GnRH, throwing off overall hormone balance.."
Anonymous
Op, you seem obsessed. Find a new thing. You’re a healthy weight. Try not working out as hard for a bit. I gain weight when I go hard. Lots of people do. Take a break and focus on just eating less. Heck, try weight watchers before you take drugs that will make you sh$t or not able to sh$t, feel nauseaous all the time, and ruin your metabolism. Like, why?
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:This is hilarious - a holistic doctor is supposed to help you address the root cause of the issues you mention (thyroid, need for SSRI) and here they are with the band aid approach that does nothing to solve your issues and may add news ones. Holistic my a** you could go to any doctor to be told to lose weight.


I agree. I’m shocked the holistic doctor is prescribing this for such a small amount of weight 100? Sure. 15? No way. I wonder if the doctor has their own body issues and it’s impacting their recommendations.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:I question the competency of any doctor who wpuld recommended compounded SG in uour situation.


THIS!!!!! And I like holistic docs.
post reply Forum Index » Diet and Exercise
Message Quick Reply
Go to: