DD’s Professor called people who like Elon Musk Douches

Anonymous
I have no objective to a professor voicing that kind of criticism, but douche is kind of a lazy, sophomoric description and that’s what irks me.
I expect middle schoolers to use that word, not a college professor. I would think less of him/her as a result.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:Call the police!!! March yourself right down there and demand to speak to the Principal.

Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:DD who is a first year in college told me her math professor recommended a book to the class, but cautioned that it had also been recommended by Elon Musk. She then half heartedly said that for some people who are fans of Elon, that would be a plus, and then said “If you’re a douche.”

Am I wrong for thinking this is completely off base, especially for a public college?


Yes, you are wrong.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:She’s not wrong


Yes she is wrong on so many levels. But then again Elon Musk is for free speech, I'll hang my hat on that rather than your and this teacher's version of how our world should be.
Anonymous
OMG, professors say their opinions all the time. Students do not have to agree or they can. It was not part of the syllabus.

Toughen up.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:DD who is a first year in college told me her math professor recommended a book to the class, but cautioned that it had also been recommended by Elon Musk. She then half heartedly said that for some people who are fans of Elon, that would be a plus, and then said “If you’re a douche.”

Am I wrong for thinking this is completely off base, especially for a public college?


Yes, you are wrong.


No you are not wrong. This teacher is an idiot. Happily my DD would tell her that and take the F.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:OMG, professors say their opinions all the time. Students do not have to agree or they can. It was not part of the syllabus.

Toughen up.


Oh after years of feelings, respect my feelings, now when it's something we don't agree with but you do, we should toughen up. Lol. So typical.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:DD who is a first year in college told me her math professor recommended a book to the class, but cautioned that it had also been recommended by Elon Musk. She then half heartedly said that for some people who are fans of Elon, that would be a plus, and then said “If you’re a douche.”

Am I wrong for thinking this is completely off base, especially for a public college?


I mean, I'm a little surprised the professor isn't canceled for calling a human being a (worthless and pointless, but I digress) feminine hygiene product. Seems a bit misogynistic.

But an opinion about Elon and his fans? Absolutely fair game. What do you think college is?
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:DD who is a first year in college told me her math professor recommended a book to the class, but cautioned that it had also been recommended by Elon Musk. She then half heartedly said that for some people who are fans of Elon, that would be a plus, and then said “If you’re a douche.”

Am I wrong for thinking this is completely off base, especially for a public college?


Yes, you are wrong.


No you are not wrong. This teacher is an idiot. Happily my DD would tell her that and take the F.


Your assumption that the PROFESSOR (not a "teacher") would flunk your kid for disagreeing is dumb. If anything, I'm sure the professor would invite evidence-based rebuttal. But no one cares about your stupid kid's feelings about this. Sounds like your kid needs to grow up.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:People are claiming all sorts of academic freedom, but it’s clear if a professor bashes a conservative, it’s fine, suck it up and get over it.

But if a conservative scholar is going to give a speech, well, that’s clearly hate speech & shouldn’t be allowed.

People aren’t pissed about the Elon Musk bashing as much as they are about the double standard. If another prof casually mentioned that Lia Thomas is a selfish jerk, these same champions of academic freedom would want him fired.


This
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:OMG, professors say their opinions all the time. Students do not have to agree or they can. It was not part of the syllabus.

Toughen up.


Oh after years of feelings, respect my feelings, now when it's something we don't agree with but you do, we should toughen up. Lol. So typical.


Whatever are you prattling on about. You sound like a douche.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:They're all adults! Why do you care?


I don’t call other people douches, much less in a classroom setting as a paid professional.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Making prejudiced insults against his own students is completely unacceptable for a professor.

have you never been to college? If a student does or says something stupid, a professor will make insulting comments.

These are adults, not Kers.


Taxpayers are paying the salary of the professor who should act like a professional, grown adult. The comment was immature and did not belong in the classroom. Look beyond whether you like Musk or not because that’s not the point.


Hardly. Public contributions to education are like 5 percent of public university budgets. And if you are trying to make the argument that because students use Pell grants and subsidized student loans to go to college then professors are somehow public employees, that makes half the people in the country a public employee.


Weak. This is a publicly funded university and that means taxpayer money is being used for it. This is a public employee, period.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Making prejudiced insults against his own students is completely unacceptable for a professor.

have you never been to college? If a student does or says something stupid, a professor will make insulting comments.

These are adults, not Kers.


Taxpayers are paying the salary of the professor who should act like a professional, grown adult. The comment was immature and did not belong in the classroom. Look beyond whether you like Musk or not because that’s not the point.


Hardly. Public contributions to education are like 5 percent of public university budgets. And if you are trying to make the argument that because students use Pell grants and subsidized student loans to go to college then professors are somehow public employees, that makes half the people in the country a public employee.


Weak. This is a publicly funded university and that means taxpayer money is being used for it. This is a public employee, period.


If anything, that’s more of an argument for free speech, not less of one. The first amendment applies to government actor, not private ones. Which is how Liberty can cancel students with liberal ideologies.
Anonymous
What's unacceptable is charging tuition money for the sort of garbage behavior a student could get at DCUM for free.
post reply Forum Index » College and University Discussion
Message Quick Reply
Go to: