Bad choices

Anonymous
So others may learn: did she make an awful list to apply to? What happened at (what should have been) her multiple targets and safeties?
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:Why did she apply to an expensive school if she hates it?
This makes no sense.
Where are her safeties?


her safeties are the expensive schools. she never imagined that she would be only counting with those. also, some things changed at home and money is more of a constraint now.
Anonymous
I'm sure you're all insanely stressed out right now; so sorry.

It's not too late to expand her options. Lots of quality schools haven't hit their deadlines yet (and many others, on the DL, will continue considering applications past their "deadlines"). What's your state of residence? And what does she want as far as big/small, urban/rural, warm/cold? Area of study?
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:pretty early to be throwing in the towel, but assuming you aren't waiting on any RD decisions, any interest in submitting more apps?

2/1 deadline per my recollection: Wisconsin, Michigan, Rhode Island, Wooster, Baylor, Miami of Ohio, Sewanee, Muhlenberg.

some even later. Arizona, Iowa, Ursinus etc are May 1


This. Time to consider what other schools she wants to apply to and be sure to run the net price calculators. She didn't have good safeties if they did not include any financial safeties.
Anonymous
Her stats are good. Can you name the schools that she was accepted to and denied at so others may learn from your experience?

Thanks.
Anonymous
Here's a list of colleges with later application deadlines. Time to think about where else she'd like to apply. And, if none of these appeal, I'd go with CC --> transfer path.
https://blog.prepscholar.com/colleges-with-late-application-deadlines-complete-list
Anonymous
This is still early in the process to start panicking. What about her RD applications? Those don't come in for another 2 months.
Anonymous
We need to have your state to help.
Anonymous
OP - I feel like there is still time to find a different school for RD.

I think I'd consider going to the school year 1 and transferring. Unless you are in VA and UVA is acceptable to use with the NOVA option.

Unless instate is an option in the end - I think going to the school for a year is better than CC academically and as a transfer. At least with the instate, you could identify that cost factors changed and didn't allow you to feasibly go to the one acceptance. Otherwise - transfer schools (from CC) will wonder how she can afford next year as a transfer when you couldn't afford private for freshman year.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:I'm sure you're all insanely stressed out right now; so sorry.

It's not too late to expand her options. Lots of quality schools haven't hit their deadlines yet (and many others, on the DL, will continue considering applications past their "deadlines"). What's your state of residence? And what does she want as far as big/small, urban/rural, warm/cold? Area of study?

We are in MD. Strong STEM interest
Anonymous
I would try to get in some more apps with 2/1 deadlines if possible.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I'm sure you're all insanely stressed out right now; so sorry.

It's not too late to expand her options. Lots of quality schools haven't hit their deadlines yet (and many others, on the DL, will continue considering applications past their "deadlines"). What's your state of residence? And what does she want as far as big/small, urban/rural, warm/cold? Area of study?

We are in MD. Strong STEM interest


And she got rejected by UMBC with those stats? That surprises me.
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I'm sure you're all insanely stressed out right now; so sorry.

It's not too late to expand her options. Lots of quality schools haven't hit their deadlines yet (and many others, on the DL, will continue considering applications past their "deadlines"). What's your state of residence? And what does she want as far as big/small, urban/rural, warm/cold? Area of study?

We are in MD. Strong STEM interest


we need an idea of budget. are you getting FA when you run the NPV? are you coming in a full pay but can really pay 50 COA. give us this. she literally needs to apply tonight possibly so help us help you
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:I would try to get in some more apps with 2/1 deadlines if possible.

Agree, scan the list from the previous PP and get more apps in for 2/1 2/15 and 3/1. I think a 4.6w did is NOT going to enjoy going to community college, yes I know kids do it, but that would be demoralizing
Anonymous
Something similar happened to a student I know last year. He ended up taking a gap year and studied at a school abroad for several months and then spent the next 6 months volunteering in another country (not in Europe). He absolutely loved it and is at a state flagship now and doing very well. There are many gap year programs so it doesn’t have to be something you make up.
post reply Forum Index » College and University Discussion
Message Quick Reply
Go to: